A portable drumkit allows drummers to play virtually anywhere on a whim due to their compact and easy-to-carry construction. In addition, a portable drumkit is an excellent instrument for musicians who play in small venues or who live in a cramped-up dorm room. Furthermore, they also make a great addition to a street musician’s gigging setup.
Typically, portable drumkits are frowned-upon by drumming purists. However, their rising popularity as time passes by is a testament to their convenience and operating ease. Therefore, let’s dive into what makes a portable drumkit and who are they for. Moreover, we collected excellent portable drumkits to help you on your quest to find a convenient and easy-to-transport drumset.
What is a Portable Drumkit and Who is it For?— A Buyer’s Guide
As we know, portable drumkits come in various shapes and sizes. For us to identify how a portable drumkit works, we must first undergo its nitty-gritty. Therefore, here are some of the qualities that make a portable drumkit:
From the word “portable” itself, a portable drumkit is an excellent tool for gigging and touring musicians. A standard drumset includes a 22” bass drum, 16” floor tom, and 12”-13” toms, which are difficult to move around. Therefore, a portable drumkit cuts this standard size into a compact construction. As a result, this makes portable drumkits excellent for tight spaces and musicians on the go.
Acoustic vs. Electric
Similar to guitars, even portable drumkits have an acoustic and electric variant. An acoustic portable drumkit utilizes wood shells, allowing the instrument to resonate with its sound without any aftermarket amplification. Thus, this makes acoustic portable drumkits extremely loud despite their compact construction.
On the other hand, an electric portable drumkit provides users with an option to utilize the best amplifier for electronic drums. As a result, allowing users to control their levels according to the spaces they are in. In addition, an electric portable drum kit can use headphones, making them extremely silent within house settings.
Pros of Using Portable Acoustic Drumkits
- Louder sound within a compact construction.
- More authentic-sounding compared to electronic drums.
- Thin and lightweight construction in comparison with standard drumkits.
- Ideal for small bars and music venues.
Cons of Using Portable Acoustic Drumkits
- Comparatively more expensive than its electronic counterpart.
- Utilizes authentic cymbal sets which are not suitable for dorm or bedroom use.
Pros of Using Portable Electronic Drumkits
- Doesn’t require tuning.
- Compatible with the best in-ear-monitors for drummers, allowing silent practice sessions.
- Acoustically almost silent when played without an amplifier, making them double as excellent drum pads.
- Easy to bring and requires little to no setup compared to portable acoustic drumkits.
Cons of Using Portable Electronic Drumkits
- Electronic drum pads can foster bad drumming habits for beginners because of their unnatural feel.
- Limited feeling setup due to it not coming with cymbals.
Who Should Buy a Portable Drumkit?
As stated, a portable drum kit is an excellent instrument for gigging musicians and drummers on a budget. Due to their smaller and compact size, they are ideal for small spaces such as dorm rooms. In addition, their typical lightweight construction makes them perfect for musicians on the go.
Therefore, we recommend beginners and musicians on a budget to invest in an electronic portable drum kit. Meanwhile, we recommend drummers who want a compact but loud drumkit find an acoustic portable drum kit.
3 Excellent Portable Acoustic Drumkits from Amazon
Pearl Drum Set 2-pc. Drum Kit
Type: Acoustic Portable Drumkit
Pearl is one of the leading brands when it comes to drum kits. Drummers worldwide cannot mistake the quality that separates Pearl drum kits from the rest. From their solid build down to the intricate material combination that provides the best tonal quality, you can never go wrong with Pearl.
Firstly, the Pearl Drum Kit features a 10” snare and 18” bass drum frames with standard drum heads. As a result, this drumset sounds similar to a regular Pearl drumkit. Moreover, this drum kit’s parts feature an ultra-thin construction, making them extremely lightweight and compact.
Secondly, Pearl designed this portable drum kit with a quick and compact set-up under any playing situation. In addition, the drumset resembles the feel of a standard drum, making it even drum key tunable. Lastly, Pearl includes a 3/8” rod, allowing owners to stack this kit with other percussion instruments.
- 10” snare frame
- 18” bass drum frame
- Compact construction
- 3/8” mounting rod
- Grab-N-Go Portability
- Drum key tunable heads.
- The product utilizes standard drum heads, providing an authentic drum sound.
- Allows users to fold the whole set flat for easier transportability.
- Manufactured with optional 10” and 14” toms (sold separately).
- The product doesn’t come with any hardware considering its price.
Toca Kickboxx Suitcase Travel Portable Drum Set
Type: Acoustic Portable Drumkit
The Toca Kickboxx Suitcase Portable Drum Kit offers excellent versatility inside a compact and easy-to-carry construction. Toca toned down a standard set by one tome with its 14” kick drumhead, 10” snare drum, and 10” tom. As a result, users still get a 3-piece drumkit without sacrificing portability.
Furthermore, Toca designed the kit’s bass drum with a sturdy wooden frame. Thus, the bass drum acts as a case for the Toca set, even providing extra room for a kick pedal. In addition, the set comes with retractable and angle-adjustable mounting posts, providing better customizability and playing experience.
Moreover, Toca focuses on the overall portability and transportability of the Kickboxx Suitcase kit. Therefore, Toca designed the suitcase shell to fit on most airline overhead compartments. Lastly, the suitcase’s handle doubles as an accessory clamp for additional drumming accessories.
- 14” kick drumhead
- 10” snare drum
- 10” tom
- Sturdy wooden frame
- Retractable mounting posts
- Toca designed the suitcase to fit on most airline overhead compartments.
- The suitcase handle is sturdy enough to act as a mounting point for accessory clamps.
- The whole set fits excellently inside the suitcase with enough room for one kick pedal.
- Features an extra 10” tom, offering a wider tonal range in comparison with the portable Pearl drumkit.
- More expensive than the Pearl drum kit.
Traps Drums A400 Portable Acoustic Drum Set
Type: Acoustic Portable Drumkit
Traps successfully toned down a standard drumkit into a portable but workable set thanks to their revolutionary shell-less design. Therefore, the Traps A400 Portable Drum Kit feels and sounds like a standard drum kit minus the cumbersome construction.
Firstly, the Traps A400 Drums feature a rack system that utilizes chromed steel tubing, providing durable performance. In addition, this construction allows users to set up the Traps A400 accordingly to player dexterity.
Secondly, the Traps A400 Portable Drum Kit comes with top-of-the-line hardware, providing durable performance on the fly. Lastly, the drum kit comes with a Traps branded chain-drive kick pedal, sealing the deal just like a standard drumset.
- 12” snare drum with Remo Ambassador head
- 10”, 12” and 14” toms with Remo Pinstripe heads
- 20” kick drum with Remo Ebony drumhead
- Chromed steel tubing rack-mounting system
- Chain-drive kick pedal
- The kit encapsulates the essence of standard drumsets through a lightweight shell-less design.
- Comes with high-quality Remo heads.
- Features a durable rack-mounting system.
- Comes with top-of-the-line hardware.
- The set doesn’t come with a cymbal set despite its expensive price point.
3 Excellent Portable Electronic Drumkits
Pyle Pro Electronic Drum kit
Type: Electronic Portable Drumkit
Featuring 7 drum pads and 2 digital hi-hats and kick pedal controllers, the Pyle Pro provides a standard drum layout. In addition, the kit comes with 55 presets and 10 preloaded drum kits, allowing users to customize their drum sound. Plus, the Pyle Pro Electronic Portable Drum Kit comes with over 300 sounds and an interactive drum trainer.
Moreover, Pyle utilizes a digital control panel at the kit’s bottom center, providing easy access when customizing drum sounds. The kit also incorporates an LCD screen that helps users navigate the control panel with ease.
Furthermore, the Pyle Pro Electronic Kit is compatible with Mac and Windows computers via a USB cable. The USB cable also doubles as a MIDI connection, allowing users to record sound with their favorite DAW. Lastly, the Pyle Pro comes with an AC adapter and wireless connection for a limitless drumming experience.
- 7 drum pads
- 2 hi-hats and bass drum foot controller
- Digital Control Panel
- 55 presets + 10 custom preloaded drum kits
- Over 300 cymbal and drum sounds
- Ideal starting kit for beginners thanks to its interactive drum trainer.
- Provides users with an AUX in and out jack for amplifiers or best in-ear monitors for drummers.
- Compatible with both Windows and Apple devices.
- Powered via AC adaptor or 6 C batteries.
- Excellent for beginners, but advanced players may find it lacking.
ODIKALA Portable Drums
Type: Electronic Portable Drumkit
The ODIKALA Portable Drum Kit features 7-touch sensitive drum pads with an optional manual mode. In addition, the kit comes with 2 pedals and 7 drum pads, providing users with wide tonal possibilities.
Furthermore, ODIKALA includes 10 demo songs, 5 metronome rhythms, 10 real drum tones, and 17 reverb level options. Thus, providing users with limitless possibilities when it comes to recording and practicing. Plus, the kit comes with a metronome control, allowing users to adjust the tempo of demo songs.
Moreover, the ODIKALA kit comes with a looper function, allowing users to listen to their playing during practice sessions. The looper is also an ideal way to jam as they hone their chops or learn the fundamentals of drumming. Lastly, the ODIKALA comes with a rechargeable battery, allowing the kit to power up for hours on end, making it an excellent portable kit.
- 7-in-1 Portable Electronic Drum Kit
- 7 drum pads and 2 control pedals
- Multifunctional Drum Controls
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Rechargeable battery
- Allows users to connect the kit via Bluetooth, MP3, or USB.
- Optional battery operation for the best portability possible.
- Ideal for beginners thanks to its metronome functionality.
- The ODIKALA kit features a looper function.
- Lacks in terms of tone customizability than the Pyle Pro Portable Kit.
Yamaha DD75AD Portable Digital Drums Package with 2 Pedals
Type: Electronic Portable Drumkit
Yamaha is one of the leading instrument manufacturers in the world. Boasting a selection of incredible pianos and other instruments; Yamaha is an excellent brand to look into. Therefore, buyers looking for a portable kit offering tons of possibilities should consider the Yamaha DD75AD.
Firstly, the Yamaha DD75AD features 8 touch-sensitive drum pads, providing users with a responsive playing feel. In addition, the kit features 2 control pedals and a pair of drumsticks for the ultimate drumming experience.
Secondly, the kit features 570 drum voices, 30 phrase voices, 75 preset drum kits, 105 preset songs, and more. Therefore, providing users with limitless drumming possibilities. Finally, the DD75AD incorporates an aux line and midi connectivity, offering excellent input and output control all around the kit.
- 8 touch-sensitive drum pads
- 2 drum pedals
- PA150 power supply
- 570 drum voices, 30 phrase voices, and more
- MP3 and MIDI connectivity
- Offers limitless tonal possibilities thanks to its voices and presets.
- Features an aux line input, allowing the kit’s speakers to play MP3 files for jamming purposes.
- MIDI compatible, allowing users to record beats through a DAW of their choice.
- Comes with a pair of drumsticks.
- The Yamaha DD75AD doesn’t run on batteries.
Frequently Asked Questions about Portable Drumkits
Are roll-up drum kits any good?
As we know, bringing a drumset to a gig can be a nerve-wracking experience. The overall weight of a kit is cumbersome to transport, assemble, and disassemble every time. In addition, using a standard drumkit inside a home can be quite annoying, especially without proper soundproofing. Plus, the size of drumkits makes it hard for drummers to store within a confined space.
In this light, roll-up drumkits or electronic portable drumkits provide drummers with a drumset that can solve the problems stated above. Its compact and lightweight construction makes portable drumkits easy to store and bring virtually anywhere. Of course, it is generally cheaper than standard drumkits.
Is it illegal to use drum kits?
Portable drumkits offer excellent preset drum tracks and beats. In addition, these beat presets are well-made and precise drum tracks that users can utilize in their songs. Contrary to popular belief, presets do not fall under copyright laws since they aren’t considered by the law as songwriting.
What is a small drum kit called?
Typically, standard drum kits feature a 20” bass drum paired with 12” and 16” toms. Anything smaller than this is considered a compact kit. However, these drum kits are still around the range of standard kits in terms of weight. Therefore, if you are looking for a smaller and lighter kit, it is ideal to look for portable drumkits.
Are portable electronic drums good for beginners?
A portable electronic drum kit is excellent for drummers looking to learn the fundamentals of drumming on a budget. In addition, electronic drums are excellent for silent practice using headphones for electronic drums. Lastly, electronic drums are great for drummers who don’t want to commit a huge chunk of their space for a drumkit. Therefore, portable electronic drums are ideal starting kit for beginners.
How much is a beginner drum set?
A standard beginner drum set can cost around $400 up to $800, which is an expensive price point. Luckily, there are portable drumkit options available in the market, usually costing around $200. In addition, there are also excellent electronic portable drumkits that retail for less.