We know how important it is for you to find the right drum set for your child. After all, you’re looking to develop their creativity and motor skills. We applaud you for doing your child a great service!
Well, who doesn’t like music? The answer is absolutely obvious. Everyone find the heart’s desire and content in a music instrument.
Music and art touches everyone’s heart and has altogether different language than words. It conveys a deeper message of every emotion and thought.
Parents these days not just want their kids to be good at academics but also be best at extra-curricular activities, be it sports or music or arts. They want their kids to be all-rounder and then again, why not.
Everyone should have hobbies and interests, gone are the days when everyone wanted a scholar and a PhD child so that the parents can flaunt their child’s degrees.
One should live their lives to the fullest and for that stress busters are a must.Music has been proven to be a great stress buster and reliever.
Sometimes parents are thrilled to discover that their kids have a knack for music and instruments. They plan and support their talent hoping to see their children fulfill their fantasies of their prodigy performing lovey-dovey violin concerts and guitar solos.
But those dreams are usually take a U-turn once they realize that their offspring aren’t really fascinated by such things—they want a drum set and nothing else will do!
One should not worry when their children crave for unusual or out of the box things. You should be supportive of their choices and encourage them to follow their heart.
It is seen that choosing a kid’s first drum set can be overwhelming but it is totally worthy of the joy that the kid will experience. It is the moment of a lifetime when you agree to their demand.
The journey to pick the best kids drum set is not easy but in this product guide we’ll walk you step by step through the product and its components.
We will highlight some important features and safety concerns you must look out for while buying .
We will provide an estimated range, space required, weighing approximation etc of the instrument for better judgment and decision.
An untrained parent or anyone who had no inclination towards instruments would not find much of a difference between sets made just for kids and regular sets.
Best Drum Sets for Kids Review Center – Updated 2018
|#1 - Gammon Percussion Complete|
|#2 - Mendini by Cecilio|
|#3 - GP Percussion GP50BL|
|#4 - DirectlyCheap Childrens|
|#5 - Spectrum AIL 621R|
#1 – Gammon Percussion Complete 5-Piece
The Gammon Percussion Complete 5-Piece is by far the best set for kids! This set comes with absolutely everything that you need to get started!
This is truly for kids of all ages, but we prefer to have children between the ages of 3 and 10 use it. There are specific toddler sets if you’re looking for a younger child to get into drumming.
The sound quality is phenomenal. Gammon really packed a powerful punch in this set. It’s not going to be nearly as powerful as a full-blown adult set, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
Look at all that is included! You’re not going to find a set that comes with nearly as many drumming essentials as the Gammon Percussion 5-Piece!
This set includes:
- 16” x 10” 12 Lug Bass Drum
- Wood Snare Drum
- Two Hang Toms
- Floor Tom
- 2-8” Hi-Hay Cymbals
- 1-10” Crash/Ride Cymbal
- Snare Stand
- Hi-Hat Stand
- Bass Drum Pedal
- Pair Drum Sticks
- Drummers Key
- And A High-Gloss Finish With Chrome Rims!!
There is some assembly that is required, but it’s minimal. Your child can be drumming his or heart out within 10 minutes of opening the package!
This set is the perfect way for a young child to fall in love with drumming. This is why it’s become the top selling set on Amazon!
#2 – Mendini by Cecilio 13 Inch 3-Piece
The Mendini by Cecilio 13 Inch 3-piece has absolutely blown us away. You’re not going to find a better set for toddlers!
Now, we want to point out that this set is not just for toddlers! It’s for kids of all ages!
The thing we love the most is how it sounds.. it’s nothing short of amazing! When your child is banging away you’re going to think you were at a live KISS concert! Ok, well maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but really, the sound is great on this!
One of my favorite things about the Mendini is that it is available in a wide variety of colors – Red, Blue, Black, Green, and Purple! This means that whether you have a son or a daughter, your child is going to love the look!
The Mendini comes with the following:
- 8” x 13” Bass Drum with 4 Lugs
- Bass Drum Pedal
- 6” x 8” mounted Tom with 4 Lugs
- 4” x 10” Mounted Snare with 4 Lugs
- 8” Cymbal with Cymbal Arm
- Pair of Wood Drum Sticks (made especially for kids!)
- Adjustable Padded Drum Throne
This really is a complete drum kit. It provides everything that your child will need to get started in their life as a drummer!
The Mendini is a very-high quality set for kids of all ages. We especially think that this is the best toddler set for sale. But again, any child can use this!
I forgot to mention the best part! It’s incredibly affordable! There’s no reason not to grab one and try it out!
#3 – GP Percussion GP50BL
If you’re looking for a great junior set, look no further than the GP Percussion GP50BL! This set packs a great sound at a very affordable price.
What makes it great for juniors is that it can also take a beating! Your junior can bang bang bang on these drums all day long! They can easily withstand the abuse! This is because the drum skins are made of high quality synthetic heads.
If you go for a cheaper drum kit, more than likely you’re going to be getting a low-quality product. That’s not the case with the GP50BL! This baby is built to last!
The build quality isn’t the only thing that we love. The sound is excellent! Your child is going to be impressing all of his or her friends when they play a concert on this set!
Included in the set are the following:
- 16” x 11”, 6-Lug Bass Drum
- 10” x 6”, 5-Lug Tom-Tom with Holder
- 10” x 5”, 5-Lug Snare with Stand
- 10” Cymbal, with Holder
- Junior Hi-Hat Cymbal with Stand
- Bass Drum Pedal
- Junior Throne
- Drum Sticks and Key
Again, every single piece of the GP50BL is high quality! GP Percussion really did a great job building this. Unlike a lot of lower-quality manufacturers, GP Percussion really built this set to last. It can take a pounding for many years, without fail. Should you have a problem, a simple call to customer service and they’ll help you out right away.
One thing to note is that some assembly is required. It takes around 20 minutes or so. But once this thing is assembled, you’ll see that it was worth the time.
The GP Percussion GP50BL is a must-have if your junior is looking to get into drumming!
We loved it and so will you (and your junior!)
#4 – DirectlyCheap Children’s 3 Piece
The DirectlyCheap Children’s 3 Piece is our #4 pick! Don’t be taken back by the brand name – this is one quality set – and one that will impress any aspiring drummer!
The DirectlyCheap 3-Piece is designed for children between the ages of 3 and 5, but can be used for children of all ages. One of our favorite things about is how great the sound is.
The majority of youth sets don’t have great sound to them. They simply sell because they’re small and inexpensive. DirectlyCheap solves a huge problem in the marketplace – it not only produces a great sound, but is sold at a very affordable price!
This really is a great set if you’re looking to get your child to love drumming! It’s made from materials that you will see in expensive sets! You’re also able to fully tune the drums to your liking!
DirectlyCheap includes the following:
- 12-inch Bass Drum
- 8-inch Snare Drum
- 8-inch Tom-Tom
- 8-inch Brass Ride Cymbal
- Brass Drum Kick Pedal
- Adjustable Drum Stool
- Drum Sticks and Tuning Key
Also, it’s available in 10 different colors! Your child is going to absolutely love it!
So what are you waiting for? Your child deserves one today!
#5 – Spectrum AIL 621R
Our pick for the best beginner set, and #5 overall, goes to the Spectrum AIL 621R.
The Spectrum AIL 621R 3-Piece is an incredibly well-made drum set that’s bound to last for years. No matter how hard your child bangs away at these drums, they aren’t going to break.
The high-quality materials used to make this set not only provide great durability, but they also pack a powerful sound! If you were in another room and heard someone playing these drums, you’d figure they’d be playing on an set of $1,000+ drums!
Seriously, the sound on this is amazing!
Now, one thing to note is that it’s marketed towards juniors. If your child is under the age of 3, maybe 4, they may have a hard time reaching the pedals.
Now let’s talk about what comes with the Spectrum AIL 621R:
- 16” x 12” Kick Drum
- 8” x 4” Tom
- 10” x 4” Snare Drum
- DP-50 Kick pedal
- 1 Pair of Hi-Hat Cymbals (with stand)
- Tom Mount and Holder
- Drum Throne
- 1 Pair of Drumsticks
- 1 Drum Key
As you can see, this is one of the bigger kick drums that you’re going to find. This is why we believe that this is a great set for both juniors and beginners. Your child is easily going to be able to make the transition from this set into an adult one when they’re older.
A lot of children often go from much smaller sets that they received when they were 3 or 4 to a full-sized adult one. They struggle as a result. Your child won’t have that problem with the Spectrum AIL 621R.
Let’s recap – the Spectrum AIL 621R is our pick for the best beginner’s drum set. It is made from very high quality materials, is very durable, and produces a great sound. It is larger than most sets that are made for kids, which is going to ensure a smoother transition to an adult set when your child is older.
You really cannot go wrong with the Spectrum AIL 621R. We recommend getting the best price on Amazon.com!
All You Need To Know!
A basic set consists of 3 components. Nowadays, the better sets usually consist of at least 5 main parts:
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
This is the biggest drum in the set. It is also called a kick drum because it is hit by a foot pedal. It is placed in the center of the drum set. It plays the deepest notes and the down beats. A usual good sized bass drum for beginners is 22” x 16”.
This is the main drum of the set. It is positioned on a stand and is placed between the drummer’s knees. It produces sharp and loud notes in the song or set. It casing should be prim and proper preferably aluminum. The drums of rubber are available at affordable rates but do not create authentic sounds as a real snare drum. A normal sized snare drum sizes 14” x 5.5” for top notch sounds.
It is a set of two metallic plates called cymbals. It is right next to the snare drum and produces loud and pitch notes. It has absolutely different tone from the drums. It can be hit by the drum sticks or just banging them together. A usual hi-hat is 13” long.
Toms or tom toms are extra drums in a set. If they are mounted on the bass drum they are also called hanging toms. They may also stand alone. Either way, they generate hollow sounds depending on the depth of the drum.
They can be classified into 3 categories based on the size and positioning: high, mid and floor Toms.
- High Tom is the smallest of the three and stands above the bass drum.
- Mid Tom is placed besides the high tom.
- Floor Tom is the largest of the three and is positioned on a stand next to the drummer’s leg.
For an amateur 2 tom toms are enough. Toms should also be checked for material, rubber is not a very good option if you are looking for good crisp sounds. The sizes for an adequate beginner toms are 10” x 9” and 12” x 10”.
The most popular cymbals are Crash and Ride Cymbals.
- Crash Cymbals are the loudest of all the cymbals and are placed above the tom toms. They are of varied sizes. These are also called splash cymbals.
- Ride Cymbals are placed near floor Toms and generate comparatively decent sound. In size these are larger than the other cymbals.
Kids sets do not usually include the authentic sized cymbals. The sizes of these cymbals range from 14” to 18”.
The other cymbals are Effects Cymbal and Accent Cymbal. Effects Cymbals include all cymbals except Ride, Crash and Hi Hats. These may be china cymbal or swish cymbal etc. Accent Cymbals are used to produce accent rather than the usual groove to the music. These include small bell, chine and sonorous cymbals. These cymbals are generally small and thin as compared to other cymbals.
There may be other components:
- Throne is a part of many beginner sets. If the set you have doesn’t include one, you should go out and buy one. The chairs and stools are not fit for playing a drum set well. There is a large variety of thrones available.
- Sticks are sometimes included, but these are a must for every drummer. These are classified by sizes and number. As the number goes up the stick size thins down. The beginners should start with think sticks for easy and comfortable use.
- Dampening Devices are used to moisten the drums for better sound quality. There are various gels and control rings for this purpose. There are also different pads available for kick drums which elongate the life of the drum.
- Practice Pads are not just for beginners but good for professional drummers to polish their drumming skills. These are used to lower the sound of the drums.
- A Bag is a must for every beginner. It should be sturdy and it may or may not be included in the kit. But it should be dust proof and long lasting. It makes the transportation of the kit easy and comfortable.
- Hi Hat and cymbal stands are other items which may or may not be included. Cymbal stands is used to provide the freedom to stand anywhere to the drummer. The Hi hat stand bangs the cymbals together by the foot movement.
Every drumkit can be divided into 4 parts:
- Shells – It includes Bass Drums and Toms.
- Breakables – It includes sticks, snare drum, cymbals and throne.
- Hardware – It includes stands of cymbal and drums etc and pedals.
- Extensions – It consists of chimes, tambourine and cowbell etc. which are not a part of the standard drumset.
Different Types of Sets
There are 3 different types of kids drum sets available. They are :
Acoustic drum sets come with the basic 5 or more components. They are natural and produce loud volume music. These drums are appreciated well by many for its innate sound and playability. These are not synthesized which makes the music artificial, according to few drummers. These are usually cheaper than the electronic sets.
Electronic sets are for children more into electronic enhancements and synthetization. One unique advantage of these sets is their low voice and playability in headphones. These can produce hundreds of sounds.
There has always been a debate over which one is better electronic or acoustic, but it depends on person to person according to their inclination towards music and instruments.
Your kid can not just learn how to play music but also the editing and enhancing it at the same time for better sound production. A good electronic set has a lot of room for enhancement if the kid learns lower levels of music ability.
It is a type of audio software which alters and simulates the sounds of a drum set. These softwares are of varied kinds which offer different features and qualities. Some can record; some can enhance the sounds and beats, some can mix the beats and produce new piece of music. It is available in mobile phones, tablets and computers.
Why Should You Buy One?
It has been proven that playing music is very advantageous for the overall growth and development of your child’s mind. Music, and creativity, helps children understand the deeper meaning of things and have a different outlook on life. The following are a few of the major positive points of following the hobby of music :
- It is a safe and healthy way of outing frustration and anger.
- It boosts synchronous brain activity and both the hemispheres of the brain work together simultaneously.
- It keeps the children’s mind fresh and active.
- It indirectly builds social and team building skills in kids.
- It is a great way to vent out stress and negative emotions which is a common problem among teenagers.
- Ask professional and many would say it is a form of meditation and you can achieve altitudes if you follow and practice it religiously.
- Studies have proved that even academic performance improves with music education.
- It refines motor skills, communication skills of children.
- One can spend quality time and learn the art which will stay with the individual for their lifetime.
How can one forget the age old saying, ‘all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy’. This is one extra-curricular activity which is a must in today’s era.
Information To Know Before You Buy
This long term investment should be made after thinking of all the possible aspects. The following are a few check points one must consider before buying:
- One should always check their budget before looking. Drum sets can start from less than $100 and can go up to $1,000. It varies because of the material used, number of drums, accessories etc. An average set which stays for a long time ranges around $300.
- Another notable thing is the confusion between a normal drum set and a drum set for kids. Every parent should see what suits their child better. The major difference between the two is of the height.
- One thing that is of major importance is how many pieces you want. It would change things like the space required for the set, price range etc. It is usually better to start with a basic 3 or 4 piece set. One can always add extra drums when they attain higher levels of learning.
- Another tricky point to be kept in mind is the details of the product and its inclusions. You should always read the description and contents carefully before buying the product. Many kids sets do not include throne, cymbals, cymbal stand etc. So, one should be ready to spend a little extra if their chosen drumset does not offer these basic components.
- One should not buy the finalized set in a hurry. You should always research well for the price and offers available. The guarantee and warranty should also be compared since it is a long term asset for the child. The durable sets are the ones to buy, they should be functional and comfortable to use. Kids we all know are notorious and you do not want the thing to fall apart in a few weeks of purchase so you should make sure that the piece is sturdy and can pass the test of time.
- Keep in mind how many kids are going to use the set simultaneously; it will decide whether you should buy a 3 piece set or a 5 piece kit.
Important Features To Consider
Every drum set has its unique features and qualities that make it stand out. The following are the key characteristics one must look for while buying:
- The material should not be plastic since it would crumble easily when the kids are in the mood to play some rock hard music. So, the material should stand the test of time and be robust.
- Cymbal stands aren’t always included. I highly, highly recommend that you choose a drumkit that includes them
- The angle and height adjustments should be checked for your child’s future use. It should not be that the child over grows the huge apparatus in less than a year or two. It should be bought considering long term use.
- Size and the number of drums
- Kids fall in love with the beauty of the product more than the quality. Usually a brand will have various colors available. Consider your child’s favorite color!
Are They Safe?
Drum sets do require adult supervision and guidance – at least during your child’s formative years. As they get older and more experienced, you can trust your child more and more.
These are toys and should not be gifted to kids below the age of 3 years as there might be a choking hazard. Because the set includes small parts and accessories, you should never leave young children unattended.
The infants or kids might swallow the nails or something alike, if left unattended. Also, they might hurt themselves with the drum sticks or cymbals etc.
Otherwise the products are made with utmost care and there are no loose ends or sharp edges that can cause cuts or bruises to the drummer. The products are shipped after the highest and best of checks and reviews after passing quality tests.
Since it is going to be used by kids and teenagers the safety concern is the manufacturer’s supreme point of concern. So, the products are extremely safe provided the kids follow the safety instructions given in the kit manual.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
How old should my child be before I buy one?
The child must be a minimum of 3 years old. Adult supervision is recommended for safety concerns.
What are the essential parts I need?
The essentials parts are a bass drum, a snare drum and a Hi Hat.
How much space do they occupy ?
Drums take up space according to their components. A 3 piece drum set takes about 36” x 24” of space while a 5 piece drum set occupies 40” x 26” of floor space.
What is the average weight?
It usually depends on the number of drums included in the set. But the average weight of a 3 piece set is 20 to 30 pounds and a 5 piece kit is 35 to 50 pounds.
Which is better to start practicing with – a 3 piece or a 5 piece ?
It is best to start with a basic 3 piece model which can be extended over time. But lot depends on the budget. Also, if you are planning to get a tutor, then it might be practical to start with a 5 piece set. Also, if you are planning to use it for more than one kid then it is better to have a 5 piece set so that it can be used by all simultaneously.
Are the stands and seats adjustable?
Almost all of the seats and stands are provided with the adjustment of height feature. It is usually made to suit every kids comfort according to their height and also because it is a long term asset for the children, so that they can enjoy it for a long time.
What is the usual warranty and guarantee period?
The average warranty provided by the seller is 1 year manufacturing warranty for any defects in parts and the workmanship. But you should check it before buying the product as it may differ from seller to seller and in different models as well.
How durable are they?
It generally depends on the use and care of the product. The material is the biggest determining factor. Plastic doesn’t last long but wood, synthetic material and aluminum are sturdy to stay for years. You also need to do regular maintenance. If you see that a component is beginning to break, it’s best to fix the problem before it gets worse and compromises the whole set
How hard are they to assemble?
An hour at the most, but usually 30 minutes
What is usually included in the set?
This varies from model to model and seller to seller. Some include accessories like throne, stands, sticks etc. while others do not. You should thoroughly check the components before buying as it would add to your expenditure if the basic needs are not met.
Can the drums be tilted according to the child’s needs ?
Yes, almost all the models include this ease for usage. The toms can be adjusted/ tilted according to the drummers’ needs. But just to be sure you should ask the local dealer or contact the online seller before purchasing the product.
Can they be used by both kids and adults?
Probably not a good idea to have an adult regularly use a set designed for children
Which material is best?
Wood, aluminum and synthetic material are good options. Paper and plastic-like materials are not tough to be played with for longer periods of time so they are not recommended.
So, this is one product every music lover’s kid must have in his/ her home. It will be a start of a long and enjoyable journey. Although, many including you might get irritated sometimes by the loud noise and clanking of the plates all day long but you would certainly forget everything when you see the side smile on your child’s face while playing this tremendous instrument. This hobby and encouragement might just make a career of a few and you would remember the day when you bought your child his / her first drum set when he / she were a kid.
This little appreciation and care towards their interests will build a long lasting bond between the parents and their children. It will surely add positivity in your child’s thinking and growth. This smart purchase will be beneficial for years to come and will make your kids stand out from the crowd. This art will make your child shine among the mass that dwells and survives in the virtual world of smart phones. We hope and wish you an enjoyable experience with the lovely drum set which brings a great positive change in you and your child’s life. Happy playing!